Wednesday, June 22, 2016

The Road So Far

One week!  One week since Spells of Blood and Kin officially launched.  What's happened in that week?

First: the launch itself!  A power failure at the Yonge & Eglinton Centre meant the Indigo store had to close for the afternoon, but the amazing events team quickly found a solution--the courtyard of the mall.  Check out the amazing setup (and the long signing line!):

Curtis Chen and I are tag-teaming a lot of our events as his debut novel, Waypoint Kangaroo, is with the same publisher at the same time--what a great coincidence!  Curtis came to Toronto for this event and the next one--a day later, at the Chiaroscuro Reading Series. Here's a great picture Kelly Robson took of me at the reading series...right before I classily smacked myself in the face with the microphone:



Next up, a double-header of Indigo signings: Chapters Chinook in Calgary, and Indigo Granville in Vancouver.  Both stores were lovely!  Indigo Granville had an especially great location for a signing table:
I got to chat with not one but two different readers who were celebrating birthdays and decided to treat themselves to a signed copy of my book.  I hope they both had great days!  (There were a lot of people who bought my book for no particular reason, of course, and I hope they had great days too!)

From Vancouver, author & entourage flew on to LA and landed late enough that we could see the wildfires burning on the dark hills: a harsh and ominous reintroduction to a city I haven't visited since the year my father died.  Yet thanks to dear friends, we were welcomed warmly and put to bed in the guest room of a lovely house with mango trees in the yard.

Barnes & Noble in Torrance generously hosted the next stop, Curtis's official launch.  Both Curtis and I had the pleasure of seeing our high school English teachers at our respective events--how awesome to have been taught by people who remain so invested in their students' lives and in the literary community!

This super-long post is going to have to leave out a lot of the non-book-related details--pretending to be a runaway horse with our small cousin in Calgary; running on the sea wall to Dundarave; mangoes with chili and lime in Santee Alley.  By the time I get back home I'll have a whole library of new scents and tastes and views and accents to draw from... all ready and waiting for whatever I write next.

No comments: