The short story Nightfall character in the Scent Garden, by Claire Humphrey, published in the online magazine 05.03.2012, belongs to Horizonsîn Strange ficţiunii romantic. The narration can be classified in the genus ficţiunii, tangential speculative science fiction.
Elements of Romance:
- schematizate characters that look more defined by the choices we make, the consequences of those choices while pursuing them for the rest of life;
- the action going on around a sundial, in a lush garden;
- epic thread also ranks among the more experienced feelings of characters, rather than a certain determinism.
- end of story, composed in the dubitativă key.
What makes me recommend this story:
- the originality of the composition of the text;
- narrative freshness, in spite of the abundance of the elements, inspired, poetic.
This is one of the things I didn't imagine about being a writer. I did imagine that I'd spend a lot of time awaiting responses from editors, and that feels pretty much how I thought it would, but I didn't think I'd have access to readers' responses in the way that I do. (For one thing, when I was a kid and first thinking about this, the internet didn't really exist yet. I figured that when people talked about my work, they'd do so at cocktail parties in other cities, far away from me.)
When I've got a lot of things on submission, as I do right now, nothing makes me feel more grounded than knowing the things already published are living apart from me, with their own presence in the world, being read by people I will never meet.